india bowled all out Sri Lanka on 50 in the final of the Asia Cup 2023 at the R. Premadasa International Cricket Stadium in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
India vs Sri Lanka Live Score:
Mohammed Siraj took a whopping six wickets, four of which came in just the fourth over of the match.
Mohammed Siraj’s performance in the final was a continuation of his good form in the tournament.
With this, he completed a five-for off merely 16 balls. This equals the world record for the quickest five-for (ever since ball-by-ball data became available). He shares this with Sri Lanka’s Chaminda Vaas, who had picked five wickets against Bangladesh off merely 16 balls in the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2003.
Sri Lanka were 12/6 after Siraj’s effort and just when Kusal Mendis and Dunith Wellalage looked to stabilise, the fiery fast bowler struck again breaking the fledgling stand, taking his sixth wicket.
There was no coming back for Sri Lanka after that fiery spell and Hardik Pandya completed the formalities by bagging the final three wickets and finishing with figures of 3/3.
Siraj finished with 6/21. They are the best figures for a fast bowler in the Asia Cup, with the previous best belonging to Aaqib Javed’s 5/19 against India at Sharjah in 1995.
This is also the best performance by an Indian bowler in the event. The previous best was Arshad Ayub’s 5/21 against Pakistan at Dhaka in 1988.
Sri Lanka were bowled out for just 50, their second-lowest total in ODI history.
Highlights of the Asia Cup 2023 final between India and Sri Lanka on September 17:
- India won the toss and elected to bowl first.
- Siraj then picked four wickets in his second over and Sri Lanka were left reeling at 12/5
- Bumrah got the breakthrough off the third ball of the match
- He then completed his five-wicket haul in just his third over and added one more with the wicket of Kusal Mendis in Siraj’s sixth consecutive over
- Hardik Pandya took one in the 13th over and Sri Lanka were down to their last 2 wickets in 40 overs